Freelance Writer, New York Magazine, Salon, Brooklyn Based, Village Voice, The New York Observer, Nerve, Time Out, Heeb, Entertainment Weekly, Budget Travel, Travel & Leisure, The Washingtonian, Mosaic Magazine 1996 – Present.
Write profiles, reviews, personal essays and cultural news stories about New York living, unusual travel, books, film, famous weirdos, exceptional cooking and living with kids.
Managing Editor, Mosaic Magazine, Los Angeles, CA (telecommute) Jan. 2015-Present
- Assign, edit and manage production for this bimonthly magazine which is custom published by Sprocket Media for Morgan Stanley.
Fiction Editor, GOOD Magazine, Los Angeles, CA (telecommute) Jan. 2015-2016
- Solicit and edit short stories from established writers (including Darin Strauss, Lara Vapnyar) for GOOD’s new fiction column, which launched in spring 2015.
Deputy Editor, Endless Vacation, New York, NY, 2006 – 2008
- Assigned, edited and wrote articles about travel and food for this bimonthly
magazine with 1.7 million readers; planned editorial calendar, supervised staff and managed deadlines.
Editor in Chief, The Independent, New York, NY, 2005 – 2006
Assigned and edited this monthly magazine about independent filmmaking; supervised staff; oversaw editorial, design, and production schedules.
Managing Editor, The Independent, New York, NY 2003- 2005
Managed editorial and production, including designers, advertisers, and printers; tracked and negotiated distribution.
Arts Editor, Heeb Magazine, New York, NY, 2002-2012
- Edited, assigned and wrote articles for this Jewish culture and humor magazine.
- Created and produced Heeb’s acclaimed bimonthly storytelling series at Joe’s Pub.
- Collected and edited over 50 funny, true stories from Heeb’s live performance storytelling series for this anthology published by Hachette in 2009.
Editor, PAPER Magazine, New York, NY, 1997- 1999
- Launched, edited, wrote daily content for Papermag.com. Contributed articles to
PAPER and produced PAPER’s weekly web show.
Reporter/Fact-checker, New York Observer, New York, NY, 1996- 1997
Fact-checked articles and reviews; wrote weekly calendar and features about publishing news.
Brown University, BA in English, Honors, 1996
Columbia University, MFA in Fiction Writing, 2003